Coronavirus: How to sanitize my children’s toys and play surfaces effectively

The coronavirus outbreak continues to baffle the world as it is. With nearly a million people affected, the world is panicking and rightly so. This virus is not showing any signs of slowing down. The parents however, are twice as worried as they are not only concerned for their own safety but also for the safety and wellbeing of their children.

We understand your concern as parents which is why we have formulated this list of tried and tested ways of effectively disinfecting your home, your baby’s toys and other surfaces against coronavirus. This list includes store bought as well as homemade disinfectants.

  1. First clean, then disinfect

Clean the surfaces with soapy water, follow that by disinfecting the surfaces. You may use any of the following disinfectants.

  1. Store bought disinfectants
  • Disinfecting wipes (Clorox, Lysol, or store brand will do)
  • Disinfectant spray (Purell, Clorox, Lysol, all make sprays that will work)
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Hydrogen peroxide

You can also view all EPA recommended disinfectants here

Not all toys can be put in the dishwasher or boiled to remove germs. The simplest method is to mix ½ cup of household bleach with 1 gallon of water. Soak washable plastic toys in the solution for 5 minutes for sanitizing. Rinse with warm water. Let air dry overnight.

The other solution is mixing 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water in a bowl and saturate your cloth in the mixture and wring it out well. Wipe it over the 'safe' parts of the toy. Let air dry or wipe it dry.

For fabric toys without any battery or stuffed animals, follow the manufacturer instructions and see if they can be put in the washer and dryer.

Homemade disinfectant spray;

  • 4 teaspoons household bleach
  • 1 quart water
  • Pour both into one quart spray bottle, shake vigorously
  • Spray on toys/ surface to disinfect, let sit for 10 minutes, wipe away with wet cloth


Never mix bleach solution with any other cleaning chemical, and it's likely to damage or discolor sensitive surfaces.

Remember to wear gloves, open your windows (ventilation is your friend), and be careful.

After use, label and store the bleach in a baby proofed cabinet.

Sure Basics wishes you and your family health and happiness